Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Final Reflection

Through this project I have had the opportunity to closely observe and reflect on the landscape around me and the changing of the seasons. I definitely think in a more ecological interconnected way now and see relationships between all different aspects of the natural (and human) world. The workings of natural systems are beginning to reveal themselves to me even if they only promise greater mystery.

My place is like a system because it is made up of many interconnected smaller elements interacting to form a whole. These smaller elements can be broken down nearly infinitely and they form nearly infinite relationships, which can ripple out affecting larger and larger areas of the system. As I learned more about the ecological relationships between elements of the system I realized that what I knew only opened new questions about what I didn’t. I see my place in the system as an observer and tried to limit my impacts on the spot. My spot was certainly impacted by humans however, and I’m sure my presence impacted it in unseen ways that I can’t even begin to understand.

The sense of attachment that I developed for my place was probably what surprised me most about this experience. I have never really appreciated centennial woods as much as I do now after spending so much time there and observing the natural systems that take place there. It’s good to be reminded that even in pockets of land between condos and an interstate there are ecological processes taking place and you can feel close to nature.

Just getting outside with a purpose every week made me really feel more in tune with the changing seasons. As spring progressed this project made me much more aware of the subtle signs and momentous changes taking place around me. I see the idea of seasons as much more fluid and variable now, whereas before I tended to think in terms of the clear divisions of winter and spring. I now realize those divisions are fairly arbitrary and you can’t know for certain when winter ends and spring begins. I think I am able to enjoy the current weather conditions more now that I’m not thinking in terms of a sharp division. Worries about global warming sometimes make this outlook complicated though and it’s tough to enjoy an early, warm, spring-like day when it might be a portent of changing climate and not just a happy coincidence of weather.

I hope to continue to visit my spot and stay connected to the seasons and natural processes around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment