Saturday, April 3, 2010

week #7

It feels almost oppressively hot and dry in the forest today after being so used to mud and rain. As I walked into the woods I saw a Robin foraging in the dry leaf litter, it seemed to ignore me even as I passed within a few feet. The buds of the box elder saplings near the entrance had burst and i could see the tiny folded leaves beginning to emerge. As I walked to my spot I noticed that I couldn't hear the main stream and when I crossed over the bridge I saw that the water level was much much lower than the last time I was there. All the last remnants of snow and ice had already been carried away. Without the roar of the stream I heard traffic but also birds singing everywhere. I didn't recognize any of the songs except for the chickadee and they were all to high in the canopy to distinguish by sight. When I reached my spot I noticed that the smaller stream was only trickling along, I wonder how long it will continue to run. The crack in the white pine seems to be filling in with new growth but I don't know if it will be able to fully heal the deepest parts of the split. Looking up I see red maple buds standing out against the blue sky, they seem to be the first to have opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment